Loadtimer is intended to be used to measure page load times on mobile devices.
Here's how to use it:
- Edit the list of URLs - one per line.
- Check "record load times" to send the load time to the specified "beacon URL".
The beacon URL defaults to Loadtimer's server where the data is aggregated in the results page.
Change the beacon URL to send the beacons to your own server if desired.
- Clear your cache.
- Click "Start" to load the URLs one-by-one into the iframe.
- The iframe load time is displayed.
Notes about this test harness:
- Some websites have "framebusting" code that prevent them from loading in an iframe.
Some sites simply won't load (e.g., Google,
Other sites will break out of the iframe (e.g., NYTimes).
- It's possible that loading the URL in an iframe affects load times in some way.
Extra steps have been taken to mitigate the effect:
- In between pages
about:blank is loaded in the iframe so that one page's unload time does not affect the next page's load time.
- The order of the preset URLs is randomized so that any interdependencies are mitigated (e.g., URL 1 loads resources used by URL 2).
- In some browsers a website's favicon is not downloaded when the website is loaded in an iframe. This could affect page load times, but is likely negligible.
- There's a simple check to help remind you to clear the cache between runs.